Jim Montgomery – Illinois

Food plots are a long road, and at times difficult, but it’s also a road you can’t get off. My first food plot was about 15 feet wide and about 50 feet long, made with a chain saw and tiller. It was my first try and I used Whitetail Institute’s Imperial Whitetail Clover.
I planted it and pretty much forgot about it for a month or so. When I rode back to check on how it was doing, I found the prettiest stretch of clover I had ever seen. That little experience left me with the desire to continue my clearing and planting of Imperial Whitetail Clover and No-Plow on the logging roads that went through our property. That was about 15 years ago. I use Secret Spot in small clearings, and the new Ambush is used in secluded areas. PowerPlant is one of my favorites too. The deer love it. Over time, I have seen an increase in the number and size of the deer but most of all in the antler size. I have cleared approximately five acres and have been planting nothing but Whitetail Institute products. If you follow the planting instructions, and with a little help from Mother Nature, you should have great results. The enclosed picture shows my youngest son with an 18-point buck, gross 163 inches, that was harvested between the Ambush plot and the main Imperial Whitetail Clover food plot. I can’t wait to get the next issue of Whitetail News.