Matthew Ring – Kentucky

I nicknamed this buck “Tuff.” He had caught my attention two years ago during the rut. I had filled my buck tag earlier in the season and was seeking a doe. I decided to make him my target for last year. Before last season, I decided to introduce a food plot of Fusion onto my hunting area and got in contact with the Whitetail Institute.
Not long after planting, I began seeing more deer using the plot and my hunting area. Even “Tuff” had showed up several times under the cover of darkness. Later that year, after consulting with Whitetail Institute, I added Winter-Greens to a portion of the food plot. In October, “Tuff” had remained a nighttime visitor and temptation got the best of me when a buck entered my plot from a neighboring property. It had become a legend himself at nearly 30 inches wide. I decided to take him (photo 1). Early this year, I found one side of “Tuff’s” sheds and became obsessed with providing him an area that he felt comfortable enough to become a daytime regular. Along with other areas of habitat design I had added cover to my plot with hinge cuts and a screen surrounding my Fusion, and in August, I added Ambush to the center portion of my plot. After reviewing my trail camera on the entrance, I had found success for a week in mid-August. “Tuff” had become a regular daylight visitor. Anxiously awaiting Kentucky’s Sept. 3 archery season opener, I decided to hunt opening day even with the temperature hovering the mid-90s. On my second hunt Sept. 7 all my hard work and effort paid off when “Tuff” emerged from the wood line on his way to my food plot and provided me with a 25-yard shot. After a well-placed bolt and 60 yards later, my goal had been achieved (photo 2).
He scored 155-3/8 inches and is my best bow buck ever. I can’t say enough about Whitetail Institute’s products and the excellent customer service I received from this company. My loyalty has been assured with excellent seed quality and reliable customer service.