A Tribute to Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed was my kind of man. Anyone here at the Institute can tell you I am a tree-planting fool. And I tell anyone who’ll listen: The best time to plant a tree is ten years ago!

Live oaks happen to be my favorite. I chose to plant them 25 years ago when I moved out here to my spread in Pintlala. They’re mighty slow to grow but every time I see one of my big beauties I have to pat myself on the back. I’m still planting them actually and I always think one day someone is going to silently thank me, whether they know Ray Scott or not.

I was delighted to read Brad Herndon’s article on page 24. It hit my hot button for sure in a positive way. Planting trees and planting food plots are both things I dearly love and both are great ways to improve the environment we all share, akin to Johnny Appleseed’s endeavors those many years ago. It’s nice to think we’re giving a helping hand to Mother Nature.

I’ve always felt that deep down in the soul of responsible outdoorsmen there is a desire to leave a positive mark — to leave something better for future generations. As founder of B.A.S.S. I wanted to create the best bass fishing environment possible, not just for today but for the generations to follow, and I feel the same about food plots and sound deer management. What satisfaction there is to know that we as hunters and land managers can actually make a difference and build a legacy.

Yes, there are things we can do as sportsmen and that is powerful stuff. An angler does a great thing when he releases his catch back to the water and a hunter does a great thing when he lets a spike walk or culls a doe. So, take a cue from Johnny. Plant some seed today whether it’s a tree or a food plot. You’ll leave your outdoors a better place.

No comments :

Post a Comment