Caden Day – North Carolina

 I just turned eight years old and I love to hunt with my crossbow. This past January, my dad and I took a trip from our home in North Carolina to our hunting cabin on our farm in southeast Ohio. I love spending time there and we get to do a lot of hunting. Our second evening hunt was very cold. It was six degrees out with a minus 10 degrees wind chill and snowing!
We decided to sit in a blind overlooking our Winter- Greens plot. We waited four hours in the blind and watched several deer come and go. My dad started to get cold and kept asking if we could go. I finally had to tell him to be quiet and sit still or he would scare the deer and that I wasn’t leaving until I killed a buck. We stayed, and 30 minutes later two bucks came out of the woods and started feeding 25 yards away. I had to quietly turn around and get my crossbow ready for the shot. I remember my dad telling me to take my time and shoot when I was ready. My heart was pounding. Slowly, I took the safety off and squeezed the trigger. We heard the arrow hit the deer, then saw it run off into the woods. We decided to wait until the morning to look for it. I was so excited I could hardly get to sleep that night. I was really hoping we would be able to find it, and we did. The deer was found about 150 yards away from where I shot him. It was a 9-point with a split brow tine. I am so proud of my first buck and will always remember that awesome day hunting with my dad!