Linda Pevy – Louisiana

I planted a food plot of Imperial Whitetail Clover in September. It was a small plot but it had good deer sign in and around it. I put up some trail cameras to see if I could get a glimpse of a good buck coming through. A couple of weeks later, I checked my cameras and saw a couple of six-pointers and some nice does. I could hardly wait until opening weekend of rifle season. I got in my stand way before daylight. It was a very cold and rainy morning. I was all nestled down in my chair and a doe walked out at 7:30 am.
I watched her feeding around for about 20 minutes in that clover food plot. She kept looking in the woods behind her and I said to myself, “All right, here comes big boy.” I watched her for the longest. Through my scope, I searched up and down that food plot line of the woods that she was watching. And then I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a limb move. But it wasn’t a limb. It was the antlers of a big, mature buck. All I needed him to do was take one more step forward. He did so and I pulled the trigger. He ran across the shooting lane and into the woods so I gave him some time and the search began. And so did the rain. It was 30 degrees and pouring rain which means all the blood trail would wash away. I searched for this buck for an hour in the pouring rain, freezing to death and, finally, I found him laying on the road 50 yards to the right of my stand. He was a 13-pointer. That’s a morning hunt I will never forget!