Sam Kern - Minnesota

It was November 8th, the second day of whitetail deer rifle season. We got out of our tent and went to our box stand at about 5 a.m. I was 10 years old. We were there for about 30 minutes when I saw a dark figure in the field southeast of us. At first I wasn’t sure what it was. Then I saw it move to the north of us. I told my dad that I could see something. While I had it in my scope my dad got out his grunt call. So he grunted a few times and then the deer did a big Uturn and was walking towards us. My dad told me if it turned broadside then I could shoot it. And sure enough — he turned broadside and I squeezed the trigger on my 243 rifle and the deer went running to our left. After I shot I could hear the deer running for about five seconds and then the running stopped. So we waited for 30 minutes. Then we went to where I shot it and we found blood. We followed the blood for 50 yards and saw the deer. It was a beautiful 11- point buck with a webbed rack. Later that day I shot a red fox that was about 200 yards away. Then I filled my dad’s management tag with a button buck. And that is a day I will never forget!